Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default refrigerator incontinence

On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 13:23:10 -0700, Bob wrote:

George wrote:
Our refrigerator (freezer-on-top, GE "No Frost", c 1980) has suddenly
started producing large amounts of water along the underside of the
freezer door - possibly only at the 'open' corner...

Many refrigerators have electric heaters on the surface where the door
seal makes contact with the main cabinet to prevent condensation from
forming. The part separating the freezer from the cold section has
continuous heat, and the heater around the rest of the freezer section
is controlled by the "economy switch." My guess is that the heater is
no longer working.

Well, there are wires going into the wall at the perimeter of the door
opening. (This, in addition to the wires for the door switch.) And,
there is a heater element between the coils. So, if I'm understanding
you right, that would match what you're saying.

When you say "the heater is no longer working", is that the one between
the coils, or the one around the door? Since the coils are not iced up,
and the door is leaking, I'd guess the one around the door?