Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Plating for Cast Aluminum Parts Chrome or Nickel

Thanks Roger, I was having a difficult time remembering what the company
name was.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message
DIY metal plating kits are sold he

http://www.caswellplating.com/

Some is a lot easier than others, but you can even do real chrome at home.

--

Roger Shoaf

About the time I had mastered getting the toothpaste back in the tube,
then
they come up with this striped stuff.

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
Thanks again, Ed. Would you know whether nickel is significantly less
dangerous, easier or cheaper to apply to small parts on a hobby-level

scale?

I kinda suspect that both would involve about the same aspects and safety
issues.

The only source of nickel I know of presently, would be rods for electric
welding cast iron, but I'm sure there would be sources of the right alloy

use for plating.

I think it's DoN that regularly applies electroplating to some of his

small
machined parts, so maybe there will be other comments regarding home shop
plating.

--
WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

'Sounds like nickel. That was a common final plating until the '50s,

when
they started putting flash chrome on top of it for everything.

There is an area where some of the plating has been ground away

(probably
to remove an engraving) where a sub-layer looks like copper.

It probably is. Copper was used for leveling, but also to get a better
grip. A typical first-class chrome plating job on steel is, first, a

very
thin flash coating of nickel (it promotes adhesion); copper plating to
level the surface; a regular nickel plating on top of that; and chrome
plating, often quite thin, on top of the whole works.

Nickel was stylish and implied quality in those days.

The plating may have been a "pride in our name" and/or a better
quality
than our competitors' products appearance-comparison issue, in that
bright plating would appear to be a much better grade of finish than
wrinkle paint, I suppose.

You probably suppose right.

--
Ed Huntress