Posted to rec.woodworking
skeez skeez is offline

Default Skill with a Skill

On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 10:46:04 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

Framing crew on a current construction project is being run by two union
carpenters from Washington state. Both of these guys are "old school", to
say the least (it's been years since I've seen exclusively 77's on a jobsite
here in Texas, and these guys pulled seven out of the trailer, five for the
"hired help", and a "personal" 77 a piece).

This morning, watched while one of them ripped a 4x12x20' cedar beam to
width, to match two butting LVL's ... took less time to "rip" than to
"report". No guide, no line, just a pencil mark to start, and a 'finger on
edge' to guide the cut. Result: perfect match to the LVL's, and the 9/16"
off cut does not vary by 1/32 for the entire 20' length.

Try that with 20' 4x12 stock on your table saw!

Can't express how good it is to see that type of "skill" is still being
wielded once again in these parts ... notable/rare enough for picture proof:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/A.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/B.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/C.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/D.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/E.jpg

Even rarer these days : sit in a the construction trailer and listen to
measurement 'call outs' in English, and SRV on the jobsite radio.

Now, if only Paul Harvey would be around to signal lunch time ...

Unfortunately they are mostly gone! Dead, retired, working for peanuts
because nobody will pay for the quality workmanship anymore! Around
here it's all about the low bidder. How cheap and can I get it
yesterday! Hell, The good ones show up sober and ready to work. The
great ones know how to work! It doesn't take any extra time to do most
things the right way. takes a helluva lot longer to fix all the
f**kups. I've thought about headin your way for work but sadly I aint
up to the task anymore. The old bones just dont work that way anymore.
Nobody wants to hire us old farts anymore. We are dinosaurs [they say]
and the wetbacks will do it so cheap that we can't compete anymore.
It's a sad state of affairs for sure! Enjoy those men while ya can
swingman. They are a dying breed and soon enough they will all be
gone. then we be in realy deep ****!

skeez