Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JR North JR North is offline

Default Recharging Fridge refrigerant (sucess)

Aquired a free 6cft fridge/freezer. Nice one, black with SS door. It
ran, but the thermal cutout tripped after 10 sec. Low charge
indicated. I have an R12 guage set I used to retro some R12 cars to
134. Also, some cut R12 hose pieces.
I cut off the charge pipe crimp on the compressor, and hose clamped
the cut open end of an R12 hose to it. pumped it down to 29". It held.
The compressor spec says 2.3 OZ R134. No way to measure the added
charge. I found it was extremely sensitive to charge level. Slightly
low, and the thermal would trip after about 5 min. Slightly high, same
thing. I resolved it by overcharging slightly, and bleeding off a
little at a time until the compressor ran constantly with the door
open, and the condenser stopped gurgling.. About 1-2 psi in the charge
pipe while running. Crimped the pipe ahead of the hose connection,
removed the hose and soldered the end.
Works like new.
JR
Dweller in the cellar