Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] aribert@c3net.net is offline

Default "Helicoil" installation without the insert tool? Need advice

Roger:

As part of my fumbling with the insert, I one of my trials was to grab
the insert by the tang with a pair of very long slender needle nose
pliers but I could never get the first thread insert to engage into
the tapped bore (part of why I have come to the conclustion that I
need to prewind the insert to an unsersize diameter).

All:

thanks for the suggestions, I have jotted down notes and will
incorporate your suggestions tomorrow (unfortunately my shop is 10
mile from home and I only get there a couple of times per week -
preventing me from completing this simple task yesterday or this
evening)

On Mar 6, 12:54*am, "Roger Shoaf" wrote:
For 1/4 28 helicoil you can probably use a regular yellow pencil with a slot
cut in the end and twist it in to the freshly tapped hole. *The pencil might
be a bit too big around, but you could thin it a bit if that was the case..

Another alternative is to use a set of thin forceps or needle nose pliers to
grip the tang and thread it in.

--

__
Roger Shoaf