Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] aribert@c3net.net is offline

Default "Helicoil" installation without the insert tool? Need advice

Stan, others:

Follow-up question. I am trying to visualize making a prewinder. I
understand making the OD of the prewinder undersize to the ID of the
threads. I could slot the end of the prewinder to secure the break-
off tang on the insert to the prewinder. How do I grab/secure the
other end of the insert? I am trying to visualize trying to hold the
insert in my fingers while trying to twist the prewinder - not sure if
I will be able to do so. Other suggestions for holding the upper end
of the insert? BTW, I have 20 to 30 of these inserts to play with and
only need to fix one stripped thread (atleast for this project).