P van Rijckevorsel

Default Is this *real* mahogany

Charles Bragg (no, dammit, not the painter)
schreef
Mine and theirs are about 1/4 inch across and occur (to my
eyes) singly without any pattern. I have a 1x12x60 board with four
holes.

FWW focuses on woodworking, not on woods
When it comes to wood I am not taking their word for it.

It was an article by Jeff Jewitt, "Finishing Mahogany" in the
August 2003 issue. There is a sidebar entitled "Filling the inevitable
worm holes." A quote: "In most extrawide mahogany boards, you'll often
find large worm holes near the edge."

I like the natural look so I don't fill them. Jeff uses - gasp
- Bondo.

+ + +
OK, that sounds like something that may happen even in mahogany.
Have had no personal experience with these
PvR