Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlieb charlieb is offline

Default The taming of the skew! Help - Curving The Edge

I'm not sure how to put a curve on the skew with a grinding wheel.
Even a low speed grinder - the width of the wheel is too narrow - for
me. I use the side of the VERY slow speed Tormek - or the top of
the glass wheel on the WorkSharp. DO NOT use the sides of regular
or even "low" speed grinders.

Make contact with the bevel - then roll a little to either side -
removing more metal on the ends than in the middle 2/3rds.
If I get some "faceting" I can fix that with a diamond paddle
- or ignore them and use the skew as is.

And choke up on the skew with your left hand - with my
thumb over the top - out past the tool rest. Once the
cut is started - with the long point - the left hand applies
pressure to keep the bevel on the wood, the right hand doing the
rolling and raising (lowering the tip into the reducing diameter).

I find the skew easier to control than a spindle gouge since
you only have to keep track of ONE cutting edge, not the
edge on the other side of where you're making the cut.

There's a video on YouTube that shows cuts made with a bedan,
cutting with the corners of the bedan that shows the basics
of the cut - woth a bedan or skew. Search for "Bedan Practice"