Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Dave is offline

Default O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

Clive George wrote:

What's the "correct" pronunciation of Castle, Grass, etc then?

I would think that would depend a lot on which part of England you live in.

The 'a' in both words would be pronounced as long soft ones in the
South. Up here, in the North, we use the harder short way.

Grass, in the South would come over as 'graaass, where as in Lancashire
it would come over as 'grass' the 'a' would sound more like the a in has.

What I can't understand is why the South has not got to grips with the
term 'bacon butty'? " granddaughters live in Portsmouth and everytime
they visit we have to stop them saying a bacon sandwhich and get them to
call it a bacon butty.

Look on the internet and it is a common term when describing 2 pieces of
bread, buttered and served with bacon between. I was on a web site this
afternoon promoting bacon and even they called it a butty.

Dave