Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

Arfa Daily wrote:
"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 23:24:52 +0000, Dave
wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Garage around here with 'Keep Cleer' painted on the doors.
That reminds me of my early apprenticeship days.

I was designated to learn/work in an offshoot of the tool room in a
press shop. They had a cupboard there and on the front were the words

Kee
Pout

There's a local print firm near here with an enormous sign on the side
of their building advertising, inter alia, "Vehical Signs".

--
Frank Erskine

My god ! It's even worse than I suspected ... Lots of funny stories here -
until, that is, you actually take time to stop and think about them, and
then it stops being quite so funny. I am seriously saddened that a once
great teaching system, has now reached the point where it is turning out
people who know so little as to not realise that these things are wrong. A
lad I know is now a teacher himself. He used to come to our house (he was
friends with our son) and say "I brought a new game for my computer today"
and I used to say "No (Andy), you *bought* a new game, and then you
*brought* it home". I wonder how many kids in North London are now growing
up with that little gem in their limited comprehension of the language ?

Such is the way language evolves - there will come a time where their
way is "correct" and the right way is archaic.

--
Cheers,

John.