Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin Miller[_2_] Kevin Miller[_2_] is offline

Default Source for 3" H&L sanding disk gizmo/backing pad

StephenM wrote:
Like this:

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...e_system?Args=

I find craft supplies' shipping costs to be a bit harsh, so I would like to
entertain alternatives.

Here's my issue: I have a tendency to fry the H&L grippies in these things
*way* too quickly. Like 4 bowls?

I really the way it can eliminate some interior tearout in short order but
it can get a bit expensive. So, in the interest of controlling cost, I have
the following questions:

1. someone posted a source for this stuff a while back. It was a one-guy
outfit that sold presumably top quality abrasives to turners.... might
anyone have that link?

2. Is using an interface pad the way to go for limiting the cost of fried
Velcro?

3. Is PSA better bet?

4. Might I just be using crappy technique, pushing to hard and letting the
abrasive get too hot?

Probably - get a can of paste wax (I'm using Minwax currently) and wipe
it onto the bowl w/a paper towel before sanding w/your coarsest grit.
It softens the wood slightly, allowing you to quickly deal w/the tearout
in short order. With the wax on there, sanding is much cooler. All the
wax will be sanded off before you get to the finishing stage.

Having one of the crepe rubber sandpaper cleaners is handy for cleaning
up the sandpaper a bit. Usually one can flick the wax/sawdust mix off
pretty well though.

HTH...

....Kevin
--