Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
John John is offline

Default The taming of the skew! Help

In message
,
writes
On Mar 2, 10:58*am, wrote:

There has been a lot of good advise given on this thread. Many years
ago, when I was trying to learn to use the skew, I stumbled onto a
product that made a real difference. The product was called the
Stabilax for stabilizing the skew chisel. I purchased one at the Joint
AAW/Utah Woodturning Symposium in about 1991 or 1992, I don't remember
the exact year anymore. The Stabilax slips onto the skew chisel and is
held in place with a set screw. It provides a round surface to ride on
the tool rest and some additional weight. After I used the skew with
this device for awhile, I discovered that I could also use it without
the Stabilax. I don't know if they are still making the device or not,
but here is the address in my files:

Beech Street Tool Works
Dick Lukes, 440 Beech Street, Los Angeles, CA 90065. TEL: 213-223-0411
This company makes the Stabilax for stabilizing the skew chisel and
making scrapers into shear scrapers. Also make precision parting tools

If Dick Lukes is still making this device, I highly recommend it for
people having trouble with the skew.

Here is a link to a source, if its no longer available from Fred's
contact details, with image

http://pro.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FU...-332&search=Ha
nd%20Tools%20-%20Not%20Listed%20Elsewhere&smode=

Looks a very simple design, but I can see it could be very effective for
a beginner
--
John