Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus16649 Ignoramus16649 is offline

Default Adjusting an overload properly

On 2009-03-04, Jim Stewart wrote:
Ignoramus16649 wrote:
I have been cleaning up this Quincy install by properly tucking cables
into conduits, wiring things correctly, using crimped terminals where
appropriate, etc.

My Quincy compressor comes with a nice old Size 2 electrical control.
The nice thing about it is that overloads are adjustable by turning
little knobs, so I do not have to buy overload heaters. At 220v, it is
rated at up to 15 HP. The motor I have on the compressor right now, is
10 HP.

The compressor was wired for 440 volts originally and had a 7.5 HP
motor (much bigger than my current 10 HP motor). So the overload setting
that it had set, obviously would not match. For for the first few
weeks I did not use overloads by bypassing them, but now I want to set
them properly.

The question is what is "properly".

I'm no expert, but I think I'd do it by looking
up the full-load and locked rotor current draw
of the motor and setting the overload current
somewhere in between.

The adjusting knobs do not have current written on them.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/