Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Gerald Ross[_2_] Gerald Ross[_2_] is offline

Default Source for 3" H&L sanding disk gizmo/backing pad

StephenM wrote:
Like this:

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...e_system?Args=

I find craft supplies' shipping costs to be a bit harsh, so I would like to
entertain alternatives.

Here's my issue: I have a tendency to fry the H&L grippies in these things
*way* too quickly. Like 4 bowls?

I really the way it can eliminate some interior tearout in short order but
it can get a bit expensive. So, in the interest of controlling cost, I have
the following questions:

1. someone posted a source for this stuff a while back. It was a one-guy
outfit that sold presumably top quality abrasives to turners.... might
anyone have that link?

2. Is using an interface pad the way to go for limiting the cost of fried
Velcro?

3. Is PSA better bet?

4. Might I just be using crappy technique, pushing to hard and letting the
abrasive get too hot?

Thanks,

Steve

1. Was it
http://www.vinceswoodnwonders.com/pu...0abrasives.htm
He is a nice guy and the discs are ok but the ones I got were not
color coded and did not have the grit number on the back so was easy
to mix them up. After shopping around for a few years I have settled
on Klingspor disks.

2. Yes

3. No

4. Yes. Keep an air gun nearby, stop sanding frequently and cool
the disk with the compressed air. Sand at 200 rpm or the nearest
you can get. I have a supply of industrial hook and loop strips. If I
burn the hooks off I just sand them off on my big disk sander and glue
on another layer. But I am always working on the interface pad, not
the original H&L on the disk mandrel.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA