Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Mannix Bob Mannix is offline

Default O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
A sikh family moved into a house a few street away, a rare thing in
those
days. The word "gnikrapon" was painted on the wooden garage doors
shortly
afterwards.

Me & my mates assumed that this was some mysterious Indian word & we all
wondered what on earth it meant. It took us months to realise he had
tried
to write "noparking" in mirror writing & not got it right.

We used to have an Indian restaurant in town which was set back off the
road. You could drive up to the doors and order the take away.
The sign said "Mum taz" which we all assumed to be the name of the
restaurant and therefore called it that for years. Then an Indian film on
TV showed a car park in Dehli with a sign that said "Car Park" then "Mum
Taz" underneath.

Two colleauges went to a conference in Germany, for one his first trip
there. " There seem to be a lot of roads called Einbahnstrasse", he said ...
pause while penny dropped ... "oh, ah, I see, I'll get my coat..."

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not