Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] everettcotton@charter.net is offline

Default The taming of the skew! Help

On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 07:57:14 +0100, Gerard
wrote:

schreef:
This is a topic, that I found many hits on Google about. However
I was unable to find the answer that I am looking for. I am a
regular reader of rec.crafts.woodturning and enjoy it. My dilemma is
this! The skew is a monster that I can not tame. I am ( trying ) to
turn legs for a island table using 4" very dry popular. The top
of the leg is square and about a 4" section near the bottom is square.
The design is pretty standard. I am able to round the 4"/4" with a 1"
gouge with only a few catches. Then comes the detail part with the
skew. Turning from right to left I get a few catches that are some
times destructive. Using the skew from left to right if I get a bad
catch it somehow tends to crush my left index finger. I am thinking
that I would have less problems with a larger skew?? Any help would
be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Everett Cotton

P.S. I would like to keep my fingers.

Keep the skew as high up as possible.
Some free video's on skew turning he
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=skew+turning

Thanks to all for the information and the various resources that was
suggested. I still wonder if my skew is a bit small for turning 4" X
4" stock. I can work 2x2 stock without much trouble. I have noticed in
some videos that they are using a larger skew. should I be able to use
my 1" for turning this large of stock?? Ilike the suggestion of using
a drive taper with the spurs removed. If I can find an a spare I will
grind the spurs off and give it a try.

Many thanks

Everett