Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 23:45:37 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Dave wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Garage around here with 'Keep Cleer' painted on the doors.

That reminds me of my early apprenticeship days.

I was designated to learn/work in an offshoot of the tool room in a
press shop. They had a cupboard there and on the front were the words

Kee
Pout

LOL

That stirred a memory of when I was about 10 years old - in nineteen hundred
& frozen to death.

A sikh family moved into a house a few street away, a rare thing in those
days. The word "gnikrapon" was painted on the wooden garage doors shortly
afterwards.

Me & my mates assumed that this was some mysterious Indian word & we all
wondered what on earth it meant. It took us months to realise he had tried
to write "noparking" in mirror writing & not got it right.

At work, for a laugh, we stencilled 'Fragile' backwards on a crate. It's
even more difficult with stencilling due to finding and using letters
singly.
It came out as 'eligraF', so we decided it was a place in Scotland.
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.