Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] stratus46@yahoo.com is offline

Default No Time Left For VCRs?

On Mar 2, 1:14*pm, "William R. Walsh" wrote:
Something else I just remembered...I set up no less than seven VCRs

at
differing locations to record the very end of analog TV.

(I was under the impression that the various stations would do
something interesting, as a sort of "grand finale" or just as a way

of
saying goodbye to analog TV broadcasting. None did, most didn't

even
bother signing off before they dropped out.)

I re-used older tapes that had been given to me, and the VCRs

ranged
from 20 to 5 years old. Then I went to sleep.

Not a single one of them failed to do the job. Somehow I can't help
but think that a bunch of newer-fangled DVRs/PVRs/TiVo devices

would
not have done so well.

William

Having been living with 3 PC based recorders for better than 3 years,
they really aren't too much trouble. The bulk of the errors are
becasue of mistakes on my part. Last years log sheet showed 3 operator
errors for every computer error. At the time I was recording 15 hrs/
week. We haven't watched a rerun in 15 months. Recordings that are
_identical_ to live TV (HD of course) are way better than low res
noisy analog tapes.