Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default No Time Left For VCRs?

In article
,
William R. Walsh wrote:
Of course with good housekeeping those can be minimised - but
a PVR does all that for you.

I have never tried a TiVo or similar device--the monthly fee that I
believe is required simply was not worth it to me. I have, however,
worked with various PC-based solutions and all have been far too
complicated or far less reliable than they should have been. The
latest one I tried was SnapStream Media's BeyondTV. It was very cool
in a lot of ways and positively maddening/stupidly designed in others.

I've got a Topfield here in the UK - no monthly rental or fee, but bought
outright. So the equivalent of a VCR. I've had it for some time - and
there are lots of cheaper ones now on the market.

I agree about PC progs for this sort of thing - they always make them far
too complicated. The Toppy is far easier to use than any VCR - and has the
beauty that anyone can write software for it, so if you don't like some
aspects of the supplied one there will probably be someone who thought the
same and has corrected it.

--
*Errors have been made. Others will be blamed.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.