Posted to sci.electronics.repair
William R. Walsh[_2_] William R. Walsh[_2_] is offline

Default No Time Left For VCRs?

Hi!

VCRs never mangle tapes?

Keeping them in good repair helps. I only ever had problems with one
tape and one machine...where the tape would tangle reliably at one
precise location on that one VCR. It never had trouble on any others.

Someone records over what you wanted to keep?

Yes, that has happened. And then I Laid Down The Law about blindly
reusing tapes. There hasn't been a repeat instance since that time.
And write protect tabs do help a little...people tend to think if
they've got to go and get some adhesive tape to cover up that little
hole.

You can't find the tape something you want is on?

I have forced myself to label all of my tapes, so I know what they
are. It's been surprisingly successful. (I'm not usually good at these
sorts of "organizational tasks".)

Of course with good housekeeping those can be minimised - but
a PVR does all that for you.

I have never tried a TiVo or similar device--the monthly fee that I
believe is required simply was not worth it to me. I have, however,
worked with various PC-based solutions and all have been far too
complicated or far less reliable than they should have been. The
latest one I tried was SnapStream Media's BeyondTV. It was very cool
in a lot of ways and positively maddening/stupidly designed in others.

So far the VCR lags behind in quality, but it's "good enough" and has
always Just Worked for the task at hand.

William