Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_5_] mac davis[_5_] is offline

Default The taming of the skew! Help

On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 12:58:19 -0600, wrote:

This is a topic, that I found many hits on Google about. However
I was unable to find the answer that I am looking for. I am a
regular reader of rec.crafts.woodturning and enjoy it. My dilemma is
this! The skew is a monster that I can not tame. I am ( trying ) to
turn legs for a island table using 4" very dry popular. The top
of the leg is square and about a 4" section near the bottom is square.
The design is pretty standard. I am able to round the 4"/4" with a 1"
gouge with only a few catches. Then comes the detail part with the
skew. Turning from right to left I get a few catches that are some
times destructive. Using the skew from left to right if I get a bad
catch it somehow tends to crush my left index finger. I am thinking
that I would have less problems with a larger skew?? Any help would
be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Everett Cotton

P.S. I would like to keep my fingers.

Try an oval skew...
Because it's natural to rotate it, you can have the cutting edge at a sheer
angle and the tip down.. You have to really try to get a catch in this
position..

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LX030.html

I also like the arched type slew, with tucked in points..
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LX040AS.html

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing