Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_2_] Steve W.[_2_] is offline

Default Exhaust gasket goo

Karl Townsend wrote:
My 8N ford tractor has a loud clatter...

I found the cause, the exhaust gasket has blown out in a small spot. The
metal in the block is slightly burned away. ( a couple years ago, I put a
new manifold on so its in good shape here) Its a flat head engine so the
ports are in the block not on the heads. And to make matters even worse the
block on a tractor is the frame support also. No way can I take the thing
apart enough to re-machine this surface.

So, do they make some sort of gasket goo to add to the manifold gaskets that
will correct this problem?

Karl

Clean it VERY well and use JB Weld The standard stuff NOT the fast
setting. OR clean it very well, Hit it with some acid flux and braze it,
then file it flat. OR weld it up with some nickel rod and file that
flat. All of those can easily be done with the block installed. Stick
some rags in the ports prior to doing the repairs.

--
Steve W.