Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Exhaust gasket goo

On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 14:04:47 -0600, Karl Townsend wrote:

My 8N ford tractor has a loud clatter...

I found the cause, the exhaust gasket has blown out in a small spot. The
metal in the block is slightly burned away. ( a couple years ago, I put
a new manifold on so its in good shape here) Its a flat head engine so
the ports are in the block not on the heads. And to make matters even
worse the block on a tractor is the frame support also. No way can I
take the thing apart enough to re-machine this surface.

So, do they make some sort of gasket goo to add to the manifold gaskets
that will correct this problem?

Karl

IIRC from looking at my Dad's 9N the "oil pan" remains a structural
member of the frame even after the block is pulled out of the tractor.

I know that our neighborhood mechanic pulled the engine out of my Dad's
and rebuilt it a few years ago, so it can't be impossible.

I suppose the really, really right way to go would be to strip it all the
way down, build up the spot with welding or brazing, then machine it down
nice and flat. On the way you can blueprint the engine.

You can get V-8 conversion kits for those, you know: http://
www.staufferv8.com/v8conversion.html. _That_ will fix it!

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com