Posted to uk.d-i-y
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

"John" wrote in message
Heard on my local radio station this morning,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...re/7918343.stm

I also remember seeing an ad in the Yellow Pages a few years ago for an
antiques dealer, one of the 'bullet points' was Objey Dart!!

John

Unbelievable, John. I was in a friend's shop the other day, and I noticed a
new sign in his window which said "Car Radio's Fitted Here". I said to him
"Car radios' what ?" After I carefully explained to him, following the total
lack of comprehension at the point I was making, he told me that he hadn't
noticed as he had had a local print shop make it up for him, by telephone.

Also, my local version of The Business Times has a 'funny quotes' section on
the back page. For a long long time, it was called "They said what !" I
finally managed to get hold of the editor by email, and explained that
whilst what they were trying to say might well be an exclamation, it was
primarily a question, and nobody was actually saying the word "what", which
was what was being implied. I told him that a question mark must come first
to establish the meaning of the syntax, and that then they could further add
an exclamation mark, or put the word "what" in italics to indicate that the
question was being asked with a degree of incredulity.

He got what I was saying, and the next issue was corrected to

"They said //what// ?"

which is how it's been ever since. A minor victory, but it make you wonder
why someone whose profession is a newspaper editor, hasn't got enough
understanding of the English language, to have realised for himself that it
was wrong ...

Arfa