Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default Exhaust gasket goo

Our auto parts stores generally carry a muffler or exhaust pipe repair
product which seems a lot like the "furnace cement" I used to get. It is a
putty-like stuff that works pretty good if you can get it in the crack and
allow to set. I have repaired leaky manifolds by daubing them up with this
cement and wrapping wire around it to hold it in place. You do have some
baling wire to go with that 8N, don't you? It is a required maintenance
and repair item. ;)

I'll check with the auto parts store in the morning. My dad used the New
Holland model 68 wire baler until about 1972 when baling wire got too
expensive. My "lifetime supply" of baling wire has long been used up. Guess
I lived too long or used too much. Other wires aren't quite the same.

Karl