Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default Exhaust gasket goo

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
My 8N ford tractor has a loud clatter...

I found the cause, the exhaust gasket has blown out in a small spot. The
metal in the block is slightly burned away. ( a couple years ago, I put a
new manifold on so its in good shape here) Its a flat head engine so the
ports are in the block not on the heads. And to make matters even worse
the block on a tractor is the frame support also. No way can I take the
thing apart enough to re-machine this surface.

So, do they make some sort of gasket goo to add to the manifold gaskets
that will correct this problem?

Karl

Our auto parts stores generally carry a muffler or exhaust pipe repair
product which seems a lot like the "furnace cement" I used to get. It is a
putty-like stuff that works pretty good if you can get it in the crack and
allow to set. I have repaired leaky manifolds by daubing them up with this
cement and wrapping wire around it to hold it in place. You do have some
baling wire to go with that 8N, don't you? It is a required maintenance and
repair item. ;)

Don Young