Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
spaco spaco is offline

Default Exhaust gasket goo

I'm sure we'd like to hear how it turns out.
---won't you miss the "throaty roar"?

Pete Stanaitis
---------------

Karl Townsend wrote:

how "slightly" is "slightly burned away" - on my L head cars, erosion of
the block in the area of the manifold is common, but a proper gasket seems
to do

Its all pitted, I'd guess .020 deep at the worse spot, most of it much less.
About a one inch wide area.

the trick - it's quite possible that you didn't torque the manifold
correctly when you put the new one on. Note that some bolt holes are
enlongated to accommodate expansion (at least on cars), and that
overtorquing causes troubles as does lack of proper washers and hardware.
I've had a cracked manifold (on a 51 dodge) welded successfully - nickle
rod - I would expect that a good welder could build up some material if
you needed it, and then some work with a file could bring it back down to
level enough for a gasket to seal. There are also some high temperature
ceramic fillers.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/115/3347/=tewak

OK I went to mcmaster.com On page 3347 they list all sorts of repair
materials for high temperature. I guess I'll order high temp repair putty
part number 7356A33 unless somebody has a better idea.

Karl