Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels Lee Michaels is offline

Default Sketup Question

"Swingman" wrote

Magnetic declination? ... I just had the same issue when orienting the
slab on a current residential project, which was ostensibly oriented
specifically for solar heat/hot water. The designer, who drew up the
original "plans" (in SketchUp, BTW), was not familiar with the difference
between true and magnetic North ... among a myriad of other things.

Amazing, the cavernous gap in education of some of these so called
"professionals" of today.

That is a profound level of ignorance. Heck, I had that nailed at the age
of 11 in boy scouts. I used to reconointer with map and compass
competitively at 13. I must be an old fart. This sort of thing has been
replaced by GPS tecnology.

An aside to the above. I used to take all kinds of wilderness surivival
courses as a teenager and used to build woodcraft types of shelters at
fairs, etc. I also designed elite first aid kits and survival gear. So I
know something about this sort of thing. When asked as to the most
important peice of survival gear I would pack if I was to get very far off
the beaten track, I always answer, "A satellite phone."