Posted to alt.home.repair
AZ Nomad[_2_] AZ Nomad[_2_] is offline

Default Repairing old Radio Shack equipment

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 14:22:25 -0500, mm wrote:
On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 23:16:58 -0600, wrote:

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 20:17:10 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

On 2/27/2009 6:04 PM Zootal spake thus:

There isn't much to this thing - it was not a high quality unit to
start with, and there are only a handfull of components in it. There
is no obvious sign of damage. Is it worth fixing? Probably not.

You've answered your own question there. Probably the majority of the
circuit, including what's damaged, is in one ASIC (application-specific
integrated circuit). Not a replaceable part.

Get a new meter.

I agree this is likely an ASIC. I'd suggest cleaning the pots inside
as a possible fix, and clean the switch too.

Otherwise..........

Im no fan of Ebay, and I dont even use ebay, so I am not recommending
this,
but I did a search for this model and ran across this one on ebay.
This is the model 22-168a
Probably very similar but the next upgrade model.

Keep the original one for sentimental reasons, (remove the batteries).

Get a new one for use. Maybe this one.
Currently no bids, $30 starting bid, Buy it now $50
$7 shipping.
18 hours left
Ebay Item number: 110354829090

4+ hours left now, but there is no Buy it Now. I didn't think that
would happen, especially since it's still only 1 bidder at 30 dollars.

Some dweeb will buy it for 50 cents more than your maximum bid in the last
3 seconds of the auction. Happens every single time.