Posted to alt.home.repair
Zootal[_3_] Zootal[_3_] is offline

Default Repairing old Radio Shack equipment

wrote in message
On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 20:17:10 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

On 2/27/2009 6:04 PM Zootal spake thus:

There isn't much to this thing - it was not a high quality unit to
start with, and there are only a handfull of components in it. There
is no obvious sign of damage. Is it worth fixing? Probably not.

You've answered your own question there. Probably the majority of the
circuit, including what's damaged, is in one ASIC (application-specific
integrated circuit). Not a replaceable part.

Get a new meter.

I agree this is likely an ASIC. I'd suggest cleaning the pots inside
as a possible fix, and clean the switch too.

Maybe it's not as old as I thought. I cut my teeth back then TTL was
TheNextBigThing and these surface mount new fangled things hadn't been
invented yet. I still have a couple hundred old 14 and 16 pin TTL chips
laying around. This meter has the NJU9207F, and I don't have the equipment
to replace it. sigh....