Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Repairing old Radio Shack equipment

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 18:04:15 -0800, "Zootal"
wrote:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
On 2/27/2009 4:39 PM mm spake thus:

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 18:35:34 -0500, "DesignGuy"
wrote:

"Zootal" wrote in message

I have an old Radio Shack multi meter, 22-166A. I talked to Radio
Shack

I don't know there part numbers by heart. What exactly is this.
Digital, with a needle?

about betting it fixed, and they said that for something this old
I'm pretty much out of luck. Does anyone here know of a source of
parts and repair for old Radio Shack equipment?

What he said. What's wrong with it? Does it work at all? Is one
setting not working? That could be a burned out resistor. It
might say on the resistor what the value is, but if that part might be
burned off. You maybe can measuere the resistor for the settings on
either side, and the one burnt out with be the, I forget what you call
it, but if the ones left are 20 ohms, 200, 20000, 200K, the one in the
middle that is burned out is 2000.

Problem is, you can't just drop a new resistor into a meter and call it
done. The resistors inside them are high-precision: at least 1%, sometimes
more, and sometimes weird, completely non-standard values. (You might get
lucky and be able to replace one, but that's not a sure thing.)

We need to hear from the O.P. just what's wrong with the unit.

Besides, it may be that it just isn't worth it to fix it. Radio Shack
(Micronta) multimeters are mediocre quality at best. Better to get a
*real* meter, like an old Simpson, Triplett, etc.

I wouldn't mind having an old Simpson. Those things are bricks - you can use
them in place of a hammer and they still work

So - the fuse is not blown. The unit turns on (it's digital), display
appears. I switch to ohms, the display shows 11M with the leads
disconnected. If I plug in a set of test leads and squeeze the tips with my
fingers, it shows an erratic display, indicating that it's trying to do
something. I put a 12k resister across the leads, and it shows 10.00M with
the ones digit flashing off and on.

If a digit is flashing off and on, get away from it. it's going to
explode.

All other settings result in -1000v with
the one flashing on and off.

Hurry!!!!

I put a battery across it, nothing. I put the
leads across a 120vac source, nothing. It is effectively non-responsive
except in ohms mode. There isn't much to this thing - it was not a high
quality unit to start with, and there are only a handfull of components in
it. There is no obvious sign of damage. Is it worth fixing? Probably not.
But it belonged to my Father and it has some sentimental value. I'm willing
to give it a shot.

The 22-166A is a small digital only meter. It has five settings, DC V, AC V,
ohms, diode test, 200mA. There are no other settings or controls.

I see now that it's flashing on and off. That's not dangerous at all.
I thought you said it was flashing off and on. That's when you have to
worry.

I have saved everything my father had too, that my mother had saved.
His shaving kit bag has been my sewing kit bag for the last 45 years.

I have his cane from 1936 Shriner's convention. His fez from some
other Mason or Shriner event. His shirt collar, from the days when
shirt collars were separate from the shirt. His spats. And his
diplomas on the wall from 1912 (high school) and dental school. Etc.

I would want to save this too, but I can't help you fix it.