Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Repairing old Radio Shack equipment

Zootal wrote:

I wouldn't mind having an old Simpson. Those things are bricks - you
can use them in place of a hammer and they still work

So - the fuse is not blown. The unit turns on (it's digital), display
appears. I switch to ohms, the display shows 11M with the leads
disconnected. If I plug in a set of test leads and squeeze the tips
with my fingers, it shows an erratic display, indicating that it's
trying to do something. I put a 12k resister across the leads, and it
shows 10.00M with the ones digit flashing off and on. All other
settings result in -1000v with the one flashing on and off. I put a
battery across it, nothing. I put the leads across a 120vac source,
nothing. It is effectively non-responsive except in ohms mode. There
isn't much to this thing - it was not a high quality unit to start
with, and there are only a handfull of components in it. There is no
obvious sign of damage. Is it worth fixing? Probably not. But it
belonged to my Father and it has some sentimental value. I'm willing
to give it a shot.
The 22-166A is a small digital only meter. It has five settings, DC
V, AC V, ohms, diode test, 200mA. There are no other settings or
controls.

Uh, have you replaced the battery?