Posted to sci.electronics.repair
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

Default No Time Left For VCRs?

In article , UCLAN wrote:
GregS wrote:

Its a fact both my cable boxes, are both digital, but only one is HDTV
capable. None have a digital output.

I have yet to see a cable HDTV STB that didn't have either a DVI or HDMI
output. Model?

I think there is a DVI ont the HD box.

There ya go! *That's* a digital output.

The idea is also to have all HDTV eventually. I guess one day the
digital channels will go off the air with NTSC bandwidth specs. and
only leave digital HDTV ???

Huh? I don't comprehend.

Digital with standard lines/frequency.

Sometimes, you're nonsensical. What does "...digital channels will go off the
air with NTSC bandwidth specs" mean? Digital has nothing to do with NTSC. And
"Digital with standard lines/frequency" ?? All NA video transmissions, be it
NTSC, ATSC SD, or ATSC HD are modulated into the same 6 MHz bandwidth. HD
video uses as high as 18.5 Mbps data rate, while SD typically is around
1-2 Mbps. Broadcasters are allowed up to 19.39 Mbps for their 8VSB modulated
signals. Some use the entire bandwidth (18.5 Mbps of it) for their HD channel,
while others use less for their HD channel, but add one or more SD channels.

Digital =SD=NTSC= specs for lines vertical horzontal...
Standard Definition = NTSC or SD

If I select a digital HDTV channel and try to watch it on an old set,
whats going to happen ?? This is with video in, but how about antenna
in ??

"Video in" from a cable box is analog, so it will be OK. "Antenna in" is
also analog if coming from your cable box, or a digital-analog converter
for your antenna.

Right now I have the RGB going to my new LCD HDTV works fine in HD mode. If
I connectec video to my old 36 inch CRT Toshiba, its not going to recognize
the new formats.

What "formats" ?? If you feed a digital signal into an analog monitor, it
won't tune the digital signal at all.

NO NO

I want to feed a high quality video, made from an HDTV broadcast, with higher specs than NTSC
"broadcast" into my Toshiba which can decifer at least 600-700 lines of video regardless of the NTSC
specs.