Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Sketup Question

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Feb 27, 6:03 pm, "MikeWhy" wrote:

Ironically, I find SU best for the other end of the work. Start with a
blank
"sheet", slap in the topography from Google Earth, and have at it.

Right now I'm trying to get the site plan drawing, prepared by the
engineer to agree with Google Earth in Sketchup. The engineer has the
North arrow off by almost ten degrees (ummm, hey buddy, we're going
solar with this thing!), the buildings are in the right locations but
the edge of the lake is off by a fair bit, and that affects setbacks,
lot area and all sorts of other stuff.

Magnetic declination? ... I just had the same issue when orienting the slab
on a current residential project, which was ostensibly oriented specifically
for solar heat/hot water. The designer, who drew up the original "plans" (in
SketchUp, BTW), was not familiar with the difference between true and
magnetic North ... among a myriad of other things.

Amazing, the cavernous gap in education of some of these so called
"professionals" of today.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08