Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Sketup Question

On Feb 27, 4:05*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

On Feb 27, 2:07 pm, RicodJour wrote:

On Feb 27, 9:50 am, Robatoy wrote:

Exactly, to say that you can use SU to build a house does therefore
not validate the software but the builder, who can use anything if he
knows how to build a house in the first place.
I have 20 years and thousands upon thousands of dollars invested in my
software, yet I cannot design, much less build a boat. The software is
very capable as a tool to a boat builder, but *I* cannot design/build
a boat. Owning software with capability means dick.
If my problems are such that my selection of software DOES solve them,
then I am a happy camper. And I am.

You may be in luck with that boat, There are hundreds of design drawings of
boats/ships for Sketchup. *:~)

Snip

So yes, one can build a house with SU, but will it be a better house?

Not necessirilly better or worse as the same goes for AutoCAD or the like
software.
The more in tune with the software you are the better the results of the
plans.

I think the point to designing suitable plans for building a house using
Sketchup is simply that Sketchup is quite capable of fulfilling this need..
More expensive programs that will do the same are simply more expensive
programs that do the same.

When it comes to house-building, you're right.