Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stephen Howard Stephen Howard is offline

Default skip diving - whats the best you have rescued?

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 08:31:05 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

Stephen Howard formulated on Friday :
As in have you ever known anyone in charge of a skip to say 'No' when
you ask if you can remove something from it?
The usual response is "Blimey guv, sure - take the bleedin' lot".

The more you remove from the skip, the less they pay for it to be taken
away to landfill, the less landfill...

Well quite.
If rather more people adopted the practice of making use of items that
other people no longer wanted or needed then perhaps we wouldn't be
arguing the toss about which type of lightbulb saves tuppence-ha'penny
in energy costs.

Basically one of those rare case where everyone wins. I do think the
law ought to be changed to make it legal for items placed in bins and
skips to be reclaimed without concerns about being accused of theft.

I had asked the builder if I might take the (above) chain link fencing,
as expected he had agreed, but I needed my trailer to be able to shift
it and it wasn't until the evening that I could organise it. In the
early evening whilst collecting it out of the skip still in broad
daylight, some busy body came out and threatened to call the police if
we didn't put it back. All you can really do is say go ahead, there is
my cars registration number, make a note of it.

By far and away the biggest problem associated with skips is that of
other people putting stuff in - as referenced by the episode of 'One
Foot in the Grave' in which Meldrew finds a 2CV in his skip.

Regards,

--
Steve ( out in the sticks )
Email: Take time to reply: timefrom_usenet{at}gmx.net