Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default skip diving - whats the best you have rescued?

Happened to notice a new build going up and dump some goodies in a
skip as they are just doing the snagging. Managed to get around 50
brand new, 7 newton blocks. Movin that lot certainly burnt a few
calories! Theres still more in there, but imagine they'll be gone by
the time I go back!
A couple of years ago I managed to find a skip near a commercial build
which had around 6 bales of shrink wrapped soundpoofing rockwool
slabs.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Huge
scribeth thus
On 2009-02-27, Dave Starling wrote:
Happened to notice a new build going up and dump some goodies in a
skip as they are just doing the snagging. Managed to get around 50
brand new, 7 newton blocks. Movin that lot certainly burnt a few
calories! Theres still more in there, but imagine they'll be gone by
the time I go back!
A couple of years ago I managed to find a skip near a commercial build
which had around 6 bales of shrink wrapped soundpoofing rockwool
slabs.

I read somewhere once that something like 1/4 of all the building materials
delivered to a site leave in a skip.

Seeing that I suppose a lot of sites are occupied by subbies they
haven't anywhere to store it so in the skip it goes..

Once rescued around 200 still wrapped carpet tiles from a skip with the
builders permission.. Seems the wrong ones had been ordered and the
suppler wouldn't take them back so rubbish they were!...

Best thing out of a skip was at a radio station .. a Studer B67 tape
recorder, and thats now in a new home)..

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2009-02-27, Dave Starling wrote:
Happened to notice a new build going up and dump some goodies in a
skip as they are just doing the snagging. Managed to get around 50
brand new, 7 newton blocks. Movin that lot certainly burnt a few
calories! Theres still more in there, but imagine they'll be gone by
the time I go back!
A couple of years ago I managed to find a skip near a commercial build
which had around 6 bales of shrink wrapped soundpoofing rockwool
slabs.

I once got several modular ceiling light fittings from outside
an office refurb. I used them as temporary lighting when
plastering/decorating, hung on a picture hook or propped up
against a wall. Kept one for future use, but junked the others
after the decorating (they'd got splashed with various things).

I read somewhere once that something like 1/4 of all the building materials
delivered to a site leave in a skip.

and another 1/4 leave in the back of someone's van...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 01:31:30 -0800 (PST), Dave Starling
wrote:

Happened to notice a new build going up and dump some goodies in a
skip as they are just doing the snagging. Managed to get around 50
brand new, 7 newton blocks. Movin that lot certainly burnt a few
calories! Theres still more in there, but imagine they'll be gone by
the time I go back!
A couple of years ago I managed to find a skip near a commercial build
which had around 6 bales of shrink wrapped soundpoofing rockwool
slabs.

My best trophy from a skip-dive was Garrard 301 turntable - but I had
a client once who came in with a Selmer Model 22 baritone sax he'd
pulled out of a skip in Notting Hill....it was covered in brick dust
but otherwise unharmed. Finding something like that in a skip is
rather like finding someone has dumped a Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost in
your back garden.

Regards,

--
Steve ( out in the sticks )
Email: Take time to reply: timefrom_usenet{at}gmx.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Feb, 09:31, Dave Starling wrote:
Happened to notice a new build going up and dump some goodies in a
skip as they are just doing the snagging. Managed to get around 50
brand new, 7 newton blocks. Movin that lot certainly burnt a few
calories! Theres still more in there, but imagine they'll be gone by
the time I go back!
A couple of years ago I managed to find a skip near a commercial build
which had around 6 bales of shrink wrapped soundpoofing rockwool
slabs.

Dave

When I was struggling with floorboard-sanding operations and found
that some boards had been wrecked in a couple of rooms, one of my
neighbours kindly decided that their dirty old victorian floorboards
needed to be replaced with some nice clean chipboard. So rather than
paying an astronomical price for a poor match at an architectural
salvage yard I got replacement boards from the same batch which the
builder originally used in 1875 (plus a few spares in reserve).

Cheers!

Martin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

My best find was three jacobean panelled doors
and
My second best find was twenty Victorian oak and glass library
cupboard doors

I'm working on a building site in France atm but all the builders are
Polish so I expect it is a Polish habit to not have a skip. Every day
or two anything which is burnable is burnt, which leaves tins and
glass and plastic. That is put into any likely looking container and
removed from site who knows where

I bet there is some EU regulation they are violating

Anna
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 27, 4:04*pm, (Anna Kettle) wrote:
My best find was three jacobean panelled doors
and
My second best find was twenty Victorian oak and glass library
cupboard doors

I'm working on a building site in France atm but all the builders are
Polish so I expect it is a Polish habit to not have a skip. Every day
or two anything which is burnable is burnt, which leaves tins and
glass and plastic. That is put into any likely looking container and
removed from site who knows where

I bet there is some EU regulation they are violating

Anna

my best find was a scelextrix track, had it not rained the box would
have looked brand new. This pales alongside my skiphopping mate, he
pullet two petrol strimmers out of the same skip. He took the spark
plug out of the second, and the first now works.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Happened to notice a new build going up and dump some goodies in a
skip as they are just doing the snagging. Managed to get around 50
brand new, 7 newton blocks. Movin that lot certainly burnt a few
calories! Theres still more in there, but imagine they'll be gone by
the time I go back!
A couple of years ago I managed to find a skip near a commercial build
which had around 6 bales of shrink wrapped soundpoofing rockwool
slabs.

My best trophy from a skip-dive was Garrard 301 turntable - but I had
a client once who came in with a Selmer Model 22 baritone sax he'd
pulled out of a skip in Notting Hill....it was covered in brick dust
but otherwise unharmed. Finding something like that in a skip is
rather like finding someone has dumped a Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost in
your back garden.

As in taking it is theft?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

FFS what is wrong with you?

Yes, technically its theft, but in reality its not. The crime is throwing
away perfectly good items that could be reused.

Is doing 32mph in a 30 limit speeding? Is stopping on a yellow line for two
minutes a real offence? Does anal retentive have a hyphen?

What colour is the sky on your planet?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 23:19:03 UTC, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Is doing 32mph in a 30 limit speeding?

See below.

Is stopping on a yellow line for two minutes a real offence?

See below.

Does anal retentive have a hyphen?

Several. As in d-e-n-n-i-s

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 22:00:00 -0000, "dennis@home"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

As in have you ever known anyone in charge of a skip to say 'No' when
you ask if you can remove something from it?
The usual response is "Blimey guv, sure - take the bleedin' lot".

Regards,

--
Stephen Howard
Woodwind repairs & period restorations
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Thank you, I belong to your church. I cannot comprehend this idiot use of
speed cameras and that speed is the cause of accidents. Of course it is if
inappropriate.When the rain is thundering down whilst travelling on the
motorway, I have had to reduce my speed to 20 mph and less for all's safety
sake, ( crumbles, I recall having to drop to less than 11mph on the M11
circa 15 years ago due to the conditions) . I frequently used to commute on
a motorway in the Midlands, whilst a lady in her 50's ( I'm just still in my
50's) used to drive at circa 45 mph causing HGVs to overtake and cause risks
to all. Why she was not pulled over and banned escapes me.

I have to confess to having being done for doing 36 mph ( I think it was
without checking, it might have been 39), a few years ago just inside a
recently moved limit, where it was 40 mph for many years. The Income Crew
sited their camera so that all could be seen to exceed the new 30 mph at the
transition point and were clobbered with no regard to safety issues. I did
not pursue the case but I am sure that my rear bumper was still in the 40mph
zone when I was done!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Starling wrote :
Happened to notice a new build going up and dump some goodies in a
skip as they are just doing the snagging. Managed to get around 50
brand new, 7 newton blocks. Movin that lot certainly burnt a few
calories! Theres still more in there, but imagine they'll be gone by
the time I go back!
A couple of years ago I managed to find a skip near a commercial build
which had around 6 bales of shrink wrapped soundpoofing rockwool
slabs.

Dave

The best I found not that I have time to actually go searching, was
100yds of chain link fencing in two pieces. They were new and the
builder had used them to secure his site during construction. I managed
to work out how to stitch the two pieces together so that the length
was enough to go around the rear of our property. Until then it had
been part of a short for locals heading for the railway station.

In the process of fencing I also enclosed a useless to them section of
public land, which I was later able to legally claim as mine, because
no one had noticed or complained about it in ten years - I understand
the process is not quite so easy these days.

So I got the fencing free and got some free extra land out of the skip
too :-)

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen Howard formulated on Friday :
As in have you ever known anyone in charge of a skip to say 'No' when
you ask if you can remove something from it?
The usual response is "Blimey guv, sure - take the bleedin' lot".

The more you remove from the skip, the less they pay for it to be taken
away to landfill, the less landfill...

Basically one of those rare case where everyone wins. I do think the
law ought to be changed to make it legal for items placed in bins and
skips to be reclaimed without concerns about being accused of theft.

I had asked the builder if I might take the (above) chain link fencing,
as expected he had agreed, but I needed my trailer to be able to shift
it and it wasn't until the evening that I could organise it. In the
early evening whilst collecting it out of the skip still in broad
daylight, some busy body came out and threatened to call the police if
we didn't put it back. All you can really do is say go ahead, there is
my cars registration number, make a note of it.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Clot wrote:

I have to confess to having being done for doing 36 mph ( I think it was
without checking, it might have been 39), a few years ago just inside a
recently moved limit, where it was 40 mph for many years. The Income Crew
sited their camera so that all could be seen to exceed the new 30 mph at the
transition point and were clobbered with no regard to safety issues. I did
not pursue the case but I am sure that my rear bumper was still in the 40mph
zone when I was done!

That is dangerous. When your front bumper is only doing 30...

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

In my case, we left potentially useful items stacked outside the hedge
on the verge..with a sign saying 'help yourself' a few people knocked
and asked. most just took.

It reduced the skip charges.

..
Regards,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

. ..
wrote:

As in have you ever known anyone in charge of a skip to say 'No' when
you ask if you can remove something from it?
The usual response is "Blimey guv, sure - take the bleedin' lot".

Too right, over the last few years I've had about 12 skips, always delighted
when stuff was taken out. I always made sure anything remotely useful was
clearly visible on top.

The best things I used to get out of skips was Victorian cast iron
fireplaces. Haven't seen one of those in a skip for the past fifteen years
or so.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clot wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

SNIP

Is doing 32mph in a 30 limit speeding? Is stopping on a yellow line
for two minutes a real offence? Does anal retentive have a hyphen?

What colour is the sky on your planet?

Thank you, I belong to your church. I cannot comprehend this idiot
use of speed cameras and that speed is the cause of accidents. Of
course it is if inappropriate.

SNIP

UK-DIY once again veres wildly off topic :-)

What I'd like to know is when the present 30 & 40 limits came into being -
and what braking systems were common at the time?

Compare & contrast a 1953 Ford Popular with its 7" drum brakes & cross ply
tyres, with a modern car with ABS, servo, discs, radials etc. Sure the
reaction time of the driver might be the same, but the braking efficiency of
the vehicle is entirely different.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Clot wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

SNIP
Is doing 32mph in a 30 limit speeding? Is stopping on a yellow line
for two minutes a real offence? Does anal retentive have a hyphen?

What colour is the sky on your planet?

Thank you, I belong to your church. I cannot comprehend this idiot
use of speed cameras and that speed is the cause of accidents. Of
course it is if inappropriate.

SNIP

UK-DIY once again veres wildly off topic :-)

What I'd like to know is when the present 30 & 40 limits came into being -
and what braking systems were common at the time?

Compare & contrast a 1953 Ford Popular with its 7" drum brakes & cross ply
tyres, with a modern car with ABS, servo, discs, radials etc. Sure the
reaction time of the driver might be the same, but the braking efficiency of
the vehicle is entirely different.

As is the expectations of Joe Pubic. Once upon a time it was YOUR fault
if you let a child play in the road and /or rush out between parked cars
to retrieve a football/chase the pet cat etc.

Now its the motorists fault for not doing 5mph.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" gurgled happily,
sounding much like they were saying:

What I'd like to know is when the present 30 & 40 limits came into being
- and what braking systems were common at the time?

The default urban 30mph limit was introduced to the UK in 1935.

Hydraulic brakes were a real novelty at the time, and older stuff still
on the roads would still not have had front wheel brakes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 08:31:05 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

Stephen Howard formulated on Friday :
As in have you ever known anyone in charge of a skip to say 'No' when
you ask if you can remove something from it?
The usual response is "Blimey guv, sure - take the bleedin' lot".

The more you remove from the skip, the less they pay for it to be taken
away to landfill, the less landfill...

Well quite.
If rather more people adopted the practice of making use of items that
other people no longer wanted or needed then perhaps we wouldn't be
arguing the toss about which type of lightbulb saves tuppence-ha'penny
in energy costs.

Basically one of those rare case where everyone wins. I do think the
law ought to be changed to make it legal for items placed in bins and
skips to be reclaimed without concerns about being accused of theft.

I had asked the builder if I might take the (above) chain link fencing,
as expected he had agreed, but I needed my trailer to be able to shift
it and it wasn't until the evening that I could organise it. In the
early evening whilst collecting it out of the skip still in broad
daylight, some busy body came out and threatened to call the police if
we didn't put it back. All you can really do is say go ahead, there is
my cars registration number, make a note of it.

By far and away the biggest problem associated with skips is that of
other people putting stuff in - as referenced by the episode of 'One
Foot in the Grave' in which Meldrew finds a 2CV in his skip.

Regards,

--
Steve ( out in the sticks )
Email: Take time to reply: timefrom_usenet{at}gmx.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 28, 8:31*am, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

In the
early evening whilst collecting it out of the skip still in broad
daylight, some busy body came out and threatened to call the police if
we didn't put it back. All you can really do is say go ahead, there is
my cars registration number, make a note of it.

It's a shame when that happens. But I've seen pikeys empty skips on
to the road in search of metal and then drive off leaving crap
everywhere. I called the police about one of them when I saw he had a
load of road signs in the back with the council's name clearly
stencilled on them. It'd be nice to think he had his hands cut off
but I'm sure we all just paid for some more road signs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" gurgled
happily, sounding much like they were saying:

What I'd like to know is when the present 30 & 40 limits came into
being - and what braking systems were common at the time?

The default urban 30mph limit was introduced to the UK in 1935.

Hydraulic brakes were a real novelty at the time, and older stuff
still on the roads would still not have had front wheel brakes.

Any data on the braking distance of such vehicles? Things have come a long
way in 70+ years.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 27, 9:42*am, Huge wrote:

I read somewhere once that something like 1/4 of all the building materials
delivered to a site leave in a skip.

I got some 10ft 8x4 floor joists, brand new breeze blocks, 2m lengths
of guttering and downpipe and yards and yards of tiling batons (which
was handy as I'd just run out of tiling baton) all from the same
skip. Couldn't believe they just wanted rid.

Is it really more economical for them to pay to have it dumped than to
take it to the next job?

Do the skip companies sell it on rather than landfilling it?

And is it true the skip hire is cheaper if you fill the skip with just
hardcore or topsoil rather than general waste?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:
On Feb 27, 9:42 am, Huge wrote:

I read somewhere once that something like 1/4 of all the building
materials delivered to a site leave in a skip.

I got some 10ft 8x4 floor joists, brand new breeze blocks, 2m lengths
of guttering and downpipe and yards and yards of tiling batons (which
was handy as I'd just run out of tiling baton) all from the same
skip. Couldn't believe they just wanted rid.

Is it really more economical for them to pay to have it dumped than to
take it to the next job?

Do the skip companies sell it on rather than landfilling it?

And is it true the skip hire is cheaper if you fill the skip with just
hardcore or topsoil rather than general waste?

Yup. The skip companies don't promote the idea obviously, but if you ask
they will do them cheaper. They can sell top soil & hardcore rather than
having to pay to tip it.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" gurgled happily,
sounding much like they were saying:

What I'd like to know is when the present 30 & 40 limits came into
being - and what braking systems were common at the time?

The default urban 30mph limit was introduced to the UK in 1935.

Hydraulic brakes were a real novelty at the time, and older stuff still
on the roads would still not have had front wheel brakes.

Any data on the braking distance of such vehicles?

No. But it's not going to be even vaguely comparable with anything modern.

Things have come a long way in 70+ years.

Including large Edwardian cars with the brakes full on.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Feb, 09:31, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
Stephen Howard formulated on Friday :

As in have you ever known anyone in charge of a skip to say 'No' when
you ask if you can remove something from it?
The usual response is "Blimey guv, sure - *take the bleedin' lot".

The more you remove from the skip, the less they pay for it to be taken
away to landfill, the less landfill...

Savvy skip hire companies ought to employ their own totters.

Basically one of those rare case where everyone wins. I do think the
law ought to be changed to make it legal for items placed in bins and
skips to be reclaimed without concerns about being accused of theft.

It would have to be conditional on the contents being marked "free to
good home" (and how do you know the sign's genuine?) It's not unusual
to see, for example, a wheelbarrow and a couple of planks on top ready
for tomorrow, and I suspect the I-beam someone mentioned was only
there as the most convenient place to store it, as well as to save
lifting it from ground level.

I had asked the builder if I might take the (above) chain link fencing,
as expected he had agreed, but I needed my trailer to be able to shift
it and it wasn't until the evening that I could organise it. In the
early evening whilst collecting it out of the skip still in broad
daylight, some busy body came out and threatened to call the police if
we didn't put it back. All you can really do is say go ahead, there is
my cars registration number, make a note of it.

Since you had actually asked the builder, there would have been no
problem, but if you hadn't... Personally, I wouldn't have the nerve to
ask, but I've never found anything that couldn't be picked up "on the
run".

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Stephen Howard
saying something like:

By far and away the biggest problem associated with skips is that of
other people putting stuff in - as referenced by the episode of 'One
Foot in the Grave' in which Meldrew finds a 2CV in his skip.

carefully lays Adrian bait

Best place for them.

backs away cautiously
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember mike saying
something like:

Is it really more economical for them to pay to have it dumped than to
take it to the next job?

Overall, probably. Somebody would have to be paid to keep an eye on
what's going into it and sorting it out and keeping it clean and making
sure it was kept aside undamaged, then arranging for it to be used.
Too much hassle, for the majority of materials.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

best find was a brand new stainless cooker hood,
others - two rolls of shrink wrapped loft insulation (just as I was
working on loft
a 240v fwd and reverse drill that needed new brushes (which cost
£2.50)
loads of other stuff I can't remember
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Adrian wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" gurgled
happily, sounding much like they were saying:

What I'd like to know is when the present 30 & 40 limits came into
being - and what braking systems were common at the time?

The default urban 30mph limit was introduced to the UK in 1935.

Hydraulic brakes were a real novelty at the time, and older stuff
still on the roads would still not have had front wheel brakes.

Any data on the braking distance of such vehicles? Things have come a long
way in 70+ years.

if well set up, pretty good.

Capable of locking all 4 skinny trues anyway.

Better brakes became more relevant as speeds increased, not to actually
reduce stopping distances that much from modest speed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Stephen Howard
writes
wrote:

Happened to notice a new build going up and dump some goodies in a
skip as they are just doing the snagging. Managed to get around 50
brand new, 7 newton blocks. Movin that lot certainly burnt a few
calories! Theres still more in there, but imagine they'll be gone by
the time I go back!
A couple of years ago I managed to find a skip near a commercial build
which had around 6 bales of shrink wrapped soundpoofing rockwool
slabs.

My best trophy from a skip-dive was Garrard 301 turntable - but I had
a client once who came in with a Selmer Model 22 baritone sax he'd
pulled out of a skip in Notting Hill....it was covered in brick dust
but otherwise unharmed. Finding something like that in a skip is
rather like finding someone has dumped a Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost in
your back garden.

I liberated an A0 plotter once - never used it though
--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 15:04:29 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember Stephen Howard
saying something like:

By far and away the biggest problem associated with skips is that of
other people putting stuff in - as referenced by the episode of 'One
Foot in the Grave' in which Meldrew finds a 2CV in his skip.

carefully lays Adrian bait

Best place for them.

backs away cautiously

.... and old VW Beetles...

Regards,

--
Stephen Howard
Woodwind repairs & period restorations
http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clot" wrote in message

Thank you, I belong to your church. I cannot comprehend this idiot use of
speed cameras and that speed is the cause of accidents.

That is why they need the speed traps, because you and others don't
comprehend.

Of course it is if inappropriate.

Like when the speed limit is set lower than you want to drive?

When the rain is thundering down whilst travelling on the motorway, I have
had to reduce my speed to 20 mph and less for all's safety sake, (
crumbles, I recall having to drop to less than 11mph on the M11 circa 15
years ago due to the conditions) .

You are lucky I was forced to stop as it was impossible to see five feet the
rain was so heavy.
Of course I choose a good spot under a bridge some of the others just
stopped where they were.

I frequently used to commute on a motorway in the Midlands, whilst a lady
in her 50's ( I'm just still in my 50's) used to drive at circa 45 mph
causing HGVs to overtake and cause risks to all. Why she was not pulled
over and banned escapes me.

Because she is allowed to drive at 45 mph on a motorway.
You lack of understanding of the law appears to be a problem.

I have to confess to having being done for doing 36 mph ( I think it was
without checking, it might have been 39), a few years ago just inside a
recently moved limit, where it was 40 mph for many years. The Income Crew
sited their camera so that all could be seen to exceed the new 30 mph at
the transition point and were clobbered with no regard to safety issues. I
did not pursue the case but I am sure that my rear bumper was still in the
40mph zone when I was done!

That isn't speeding, its driving without due care and attention!
You were allowed to be done for speeding as a let off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen Howard" wrote in message

As in taking it is theft?

As in have you ever known anyone in charge of a skip to say 'No' when
you ask if you can remove something from it?
The usual response is "Blimey guv, sure - take the bleedin' lot".

I have known several places say no.
My local staples said no when I wanted some bits of desk.

I expect that less people will say no now that it costs money to dump stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

As in have you ever known anyone in charge of a skip to say 'No' when
you ask if you can remove something from it?
The usual response is "Blimey guv, sure - take the bleedin' lot".

Too right, over the last few years I've had about 12 skips, always delighted
when stuff was taken out. I always made sure anything remotely useful was
clearly visible on top.

The best things I used to get out of skips was Victorian cast iron
fireplaces. Haven't seen one of those in a skip for the past fifteen years
or so.

When I took over a music shop in Notting Hill the other two owners and
I hired a skip to dispose of all the old junk in the basement.
For three days we filled the skip to the brim during the day, but come
the morning almost all of what we'd put in had been removed and had
been replaced with other junk.
By the time the lorry came to collect the skip there was barely
anything in it out of our basement.

For about three months afterwards we had people coming in with the
junk they'd liberated out of the skip with a view to having it
repaired ( we were all repairers so what we threw out was well beyond
economic repair ) - and in almost every case they'd concoct a story
about how the instrument had been passed down through the family, or
been bought by them many years ago.
In some cases people had cobbled instruments together out of entirely
different bits, the worst examples being violins with necks and
fingerboards nailed to the instrument.

The strings guy got so fed up with it all that he called out a punter
after having to listen to a particularly elaborate story about a cheap
and nasty violin that had quite clearly come out of our skip.
A 'right royal ding-dong' ensued, but the punter absolutely refused to
back down - even when it was pointed out that he claimed family
ownership of the instrument some 40 years before it had actually been
built.

Regards,

--
Stephen Howard
Woodwind repairs & period restorations
http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
Clot wrote:

I have to confess to having being done for doing 36 mph ( I think it
was without checking, it might have been 39), a few years ago just
inside a recently moved limit, where it was 40 mph for many years.
The Income Crew sited their camera so that all could be seen to
exceed the new 30 mph at the transition point and were clobbered
with no regard to safety issues. I did not pursue the case but I am
sure that my rear bumper was still in the 40mph zone when I was done!

That is dangerous. When your front bumper is only doing 30...

Fortunately, there was no damage!

Rescued a lathe Ecnerwal Woodturning 2 December 27th 08 08:21 AM
Spindle size for Jet diving head jim n judy Metalworking 0 February 1st 06 11:40 PM
The Vice Prez is rescued in Jefferson Parish Its da jackeeettt Home Repair 0 September 8th 05 05:42 AM
Dumpster diving, roadside finds and such Jim Behning Woodworking 7 June 15th 05 10:38 PM
Gloat - dumpster diving find [email protected] Woodworking 6 May 7th 05 03:48 AM