Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley Andy Dingley is offline

Default Douglas Fir

On 27 Feb, 14:29, "Dave Baker" wrote:

I also think that 25 lbs per foot is way over what any normal books I
own weigh although you could probably manage it with A4 sized catalogues

Catalogues or magazines. Book density is at its worst for modern high-
gloss, thin paper. Paperbacks are low enough in height that it doesn't
matter, most printed "books" are thicker paper with less mineral
filler. Hardbacks are actually lighter, as the boards are less dense
than the signature blocks. My "heaviest looking" books (huge Victorian
antiquarian stuff) are actually some of my lightest , or at least the
least dense (per inch of height, although they are heavy per shelf).