Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Douglas Fir

Martin Bonner wrote:
On Feb 27, 1:10 pm, Arthur 51 wrote:
On 27 Feb, 13:00, Bruce wrote:

Arthur 51 wrote:
Hi all.
I quite fancy douglas fir for my bookshel/cabinet project.
SL Hardwoods have 290mm x 19mm x 3m (finished sizes)
My question is, is 19mm adequate thickness for the verticals which
will be 2.8m high?
Yes, why not? If IKEA can use foil-faced chipboard of that thickness
for similar heights, solid Douglas Fir should not be a problem at all.

I should have considered that. Thanks.

You did explicitly say "for the verticals", but just to make su
19mm is /not/ adequate for the actual shelves (unless they are about a
foot long, and only holding one layer of paperbacks.

I'd go bit longer than that, especially if supported with a screwed
down back to the shelving.

I'd say 1.5m or so will be OK for most loads. Ive got cheap contiboard
shelves in 12mm faced chip doing that span.

The worst used to be old vinyl records..