Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Douglas Fir

Dave Baker wrote:
Martin Bonner wrote:
On Feb 27, 1:10 pm, Arthur 51 wrote:
On 27 Feb, 13:00, Bruce wrote:

Arthur 51 wrote:
Hi all.
I quite fancy douglas fir for my bookshel/cabinet project.
SL Hardwoods have 290mm x 19mm x 3m (finished sizes)
My question is, is 19mm adequate thickness for the verticals which
will be 2.8m high?

Yes, why not? If IKEA can use foil-faced chipboard of that
thickness for similar heights, solid Douglas Fir should not be a
problem at all.

I should have considered that. Thanks.

You did explicitly say "for the verticals", but just to make su
19mm is /not/ adequate for the actual shelves (unless they are about
a foot long, and only holding one layer of paperbacks.

You're joking right? 19mm solid wood boards would be adequate for
bookcase shelves several feet long. I've got a reproduction bureau
with shelves about 1cm thick and 1 metre long and although they do
sag somewhat when fully loaded they can hold a full shelf of books
ok. A 3/4" shelf, i.e. a floorboard in so many words isn't going to
raise much of a sweat with a few pounds of books on it. Without doing
a lot of tedious calculations I'd estimate that they'd be fine at 4'
long regardless of what you put on them and although they might sag a
bit at 6' long a small central vertical prop would solve that easily
enough.

The OP needs...... The Sagulator!
http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator.htm

--