Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Baker Dave Baker is offline

Default Douglas Fir

Martin Bonner wrote:
On Feb 27, 1:10 pm, Arthur 51 wrote:
On 27 Feb, 13:00, Bruce wrote:

Arthur 51 wrote:
Hi all.
I quite fancy douglas fir for my bookshel/cabinet project.
SL Hardwoods have 290mm x 19mm x 3m (finished sizes)
My question is, is 19mm adequate thickness for the verticals which
will be 2.8m high?

Yes, why not? If IKEA can use foil-faced chipboard of that thickness
for similar heights, solid Douglas Fir should not be a problem at
all.

I should have considered that. Thanks.

You did explicitly say "for the verticals", but just to make su
19mm is /not/ adequate for the actual shelves (unless they are about a
foot long, and only holding one layer of paperbacks.

You're joking right? 19mm solid wood boards would be adequate for bookcase
shelves several feet long. I've got a reproduction bureau with shelves about
1cm thick and 1 metre long and although they do sag somewhat when fully
loaded they can hold a full shelf of books ok. A 3/4" shelf, i.e. a
floorboard in so many words isn't going to raise much of a sweat with a few
pounds of books on it. Without doing a lot of tedious calculations I'd
estimate that they'd be fine at 4' long regardless of what you put on them
and although they might sag a bit at 6' long a small central vertical prop
would solve that easily enough.
--
Dave Baker