Posted to uk.d-i-y
Arthur 51 Arthur 51 is offline

Default Douglas Fir

On 27 Feb, 13:39, Arthur 51 wrote:
On 27 Feb, 13:25, Martin Bonner wrote:

On Feb 27, 1:10*pm, Arthur 51 wrote:

On 27 Feb, 13:00, Bruce wrote:

Arthur 51 wrote:
Hi all.
I quite fancy douglas fir for my bookshel/cabinet project.
SL Hardwoods have 290mm x 19mm x 3m (finished sizes)
My question is, is 19mm adequate thickness for the verticals which
will be 2.8m high?

Yes, why not? *If IKEA can use foil-faced chipboard of that thickness
for similar heights, solid Douglas Fir should not be a problem at all.

I should have considered that. * *Thanks.

You did explicitly say "for the verticals", but just to make su
19mm is /not/ adequate for the actual shelves (unless they are about a
foot long, and only holding one layer of paperbacks.

The bookcase will be about 50cm wide and about 20cm deep.

Arthur

I should say..the shelves will be about 20cm deep. The sides will
will be 25cm wide.

Arthur