Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith nuttle Keith nuttle is offline

Default Sketup Question

MikeWhy wrote:
"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

I have been reading the Sketchup posts with interest. I got a
question for you Sketchup enthusiasts.

How appropriate would Sketchup be for metal projects to be fabricated
by a welding shop? Specificaly projects made mostly with square tubing.

Their would need to be detailed information. This would include some
odd angles, very specific lengths and positions of both holes and
attachments welded to the subassemblies.

The 3 D perspective would be nice but not neccessary.

Comments? Suggestions?

It's not a drafting tool. You'll bend over backwards to make it produce
working drawings. Sketchup is more a modeling and visualization tool
that happens to place a few dimensions and notes, sometimes usefully,
sometimes not. It doesn't do angular dimensions, for example.

One of the thing that I could never get use to in version 6 was the
three dimension presentation. Each time I used it my edges were in
different plans.

With version 7 this seems to be corrected and you can make some pretty
good old fashion 2d drawings.