Posted to rec.woodworking
Charlie Groh Charlie Groh is offline

Default Sketup Question

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 09:52:34 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
.. .

"Leon" wrote in message

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

I have been reading the Sketchup posts with interest. I got a question
for you Sketchup enthusiasts.

How appropriate would Sketchup be for metal projects to be fabricated by
a welding shop? Specificaly projects made mostly with square tubing.

Their would need to be detailed information. This would include some
odd angles, very specific lengths and positions of both holes and
attachments welded to the subassemblies.

The 3 D perspective would be nice but not neccessary.

Comments? Suggestions?

I see no problems in that application.

As far as accuracy, in inches you can go to .0001" or in 1/64" in
fractions of an inch. In mm, .0001mm

3D perspective would be automatic.

Just remember to draw objects/components, not line drawings.

How about dimensioning? I would need the lengths to be very clear.

Not a problem, Sketchup has semi-automatic dimensioning. You point out the
constraints Sketchup fills in the measurements. Pick a line and Sketchup
will dimension that line. Pick two points and Sketchup will determine the
distance between those points.

....will it scale a drawing from one reference? Like, say, I draw a
cabinet and then set the dimension of one of the rails? I fiddled
with the tutorial the other nite and was surprised at the
accessability...if can set the deminsion of my first piece and the
program will scale the remainder, well, I'm in!

cg

As mentioned in my other thread you can modify dimension results to outside
the extension lines if the results will not fit between them. You can also
modify the size of the font used.