Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default What is it? Set 272

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 19:01:33 -0500, "Rob H."
wrote:

Thanks for the info, sounds like you've done your share of work with hay,
I've never worked on a farm so I'll take your word for it and go ahead and
modify my answer for the hay harpoon.

Rob

As long as we are beating this item to death, I'll pile on
too

I believe this may be the patent that goes along with the
tripping/catch mechanism. That is if indeed the Nellis name
is accurate:

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=143775

Some discussion in the text about "penetrating" the hay to
lift.

This patent diagram illustrates actual hay being lifted with
a similar hay-fork:

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=82485

This patent illustrates a similar design to the one on Rob's
page, showing the whole fork:

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=98711

They all discuss in various ways penetrating/thrusting into
the load/hay/wad...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b