Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Reinforcing night latch

fred wrote:

Andrew's source looks good for ready made but it wont be pretty.

Situation is the student accommodation at the local Uni. 8 blocks
each of 4 floors, each floor has two flats. Drunken student forgets
keys, uses door entry intercom to get into block, barges flat door
to get in. I usually repair at least one a week, cut out damaged
section, insert new bit, glue & screw etc.

Trouble is on one door in particular I'm running out of frame to
patch :-)

Gotcha, many conflicting interests the

1. Deliberate damage lets the college/uni repair the (criminal) damage
to best security and recover the cost from the criminal.

They do 'fine' the residents (each 'flat' has 6 rooms) as a group if they
can't identify the individual culprit. A £60 fine divided by 6 isn't much
of a deterrent though.

2. Lowest quote gets the job mentality encourages filling with P38 and
minimal security.

I'm employed by the day to repair such things & to be honest I'm rarely
stretched. I repair all the reported faults & then revert to
checking/changing tubes, adjusting door closers etc as preventative
maintenance..

3. TMH wants to do the best job within price constraints to encourage
repeat business.

Indeed. Main aim is to keep the contract going smoothly. Best value, best
service.

Best practice for a secure but economic repair would probably be:
4. Cut out the affected section and replace with a dovetailed repair
piece.

Dovetail on the top edge of the damage is rarely possible, the frame
generally splits from below the keep cut out.

SNIP

In contrast, the London bars are cheap and show visible intent to
secure but without an extra plate on the face of a splintered frame
it might not be enough.

Its not a determined burgular, more a drunken student. I reckon the London
Bar would send a message to the students e.g. remember your keys, this door
has been reinforced. Plus they are not that cheap, so a larger 'fine' might
act as more of a deterrant.

As I say though, on one particular door I'm running out of space to patch
it. Solution seems to be one final patch & a London Bar, cos if it splits
again I'm not sure I can repair it.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk