Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] emailaddress@insightbb.com is offline

Default No Time Left For VCRs?

On Feb 23, 9:04*pm, "Michael Kennedy"
wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in ...

In article
,
* wrote:
Hard work? *If these videos are worth keeping, they're worth the 2
hours (mostly unattended) to capture to a PC, 5 minutes to cue them
all up in a conversion application for the target output (if the
machine wasn't fast enough to do this in realtime, which modern dual +
core processors easily are, and another few minutes to put onto DVD or
whatever.

What's the alternative? *You feel magnetic tape won't degrade sitting
around for years longer?

My experience says magnetic tape has rather a longer life than home burned
DVDs, etc. I reckon you're lucky if they last 10 years without developing
errors.

Quite a problem, archiving. So far properly stored film seems to have the
longest life.

My thoughts exactly on the DVD vs VHS debate. Sure the qulaity isn't there,
but it is passable for watching. Its definately better than youtube.

Are you comparing Apples:Apples? Watching VHS on a high-res computer
monitor or on a low-res. CRT TV? What I've seen of VHS input on a
computer monitor looked terrible, while computer output to a TV looked
pretty good even if it's utube. VHS is passable, but barely once you
get used to better.