Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default Best way to clean refridgerator compressor cooling coils?

Steve wrote:
I'm just wondering what others do to clean all the dust and crud
buildup on the compressor cooling coils located at the bottom of the
fridge?? There is almost no room to get a vacuum hose or attachment
near the coils except near the front. Do they make any kind of long
handled brush for this purpose? It says in the manual to keep these
coils clean but how do you get at the coils near the back? or do you
need to pull the fridge away from where its sitting and go from the
back somehow?
Steve

My original method was to use a tube sock on a yard-stick. I turned the
sock inside-out, so the rougher side would catch more dirt; it worked
pretty well. There are special brushes, made for the purpose, but I've
never used those. Try pulling out the fridge, use a bottle brush
duct-taped to a flat stick, brush off coils. Push fridge back, clean
floor. If you have time on your hands, take a rag and dip in varnish.
Let it get tacky, then wrap on a flat stick and use it like tack cloth
for wood finishing.