Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best way to clean refridgerator compressor cooling coils?

I'm just wondering what others do to clean all the dust and crud
buildup on the compressor cooling coils located at the bottom of the
fridge?? There is almost no room to get a vacuum hose or attachment
near the coils except near the front. Do they make any kind of long
handled brush for this purpose? It says in the manual to keep these
coils clean but how do you get at the coils near the back? or do you
need to pull the fridge away from where its sitting and go from the
back somehow?
Steve
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 22, 8:10*pm, Steve wrote:
I'm just wondering what others do to clean all the dust and crud
buildup on the compressor cooling coils located at the bottom of the
fridge?? *There is almost no room to get a vacuum hose or attachment
near the coils except near the front. *Do they make any kind of long
handled brush for this purpose? *It says in the manual to keep these
coils clean but how do you get at the coils near the back? *or do you
need to pull the fridge away from where its sitting and go from the
back somehow?
Steve

I use one of these in conjunction with a shop vac.
The shop vac sets up suction to carry away dust bunnies that are
dislodged by using the brush.

http://www.acehardware.com/sm-rubber...i-1279693.html

If I'm feeling energetic, I'll roll the fridge away from the wall and
poke the brush in from the back side. One some fridges you have to
remove a flimsy "cardboard" panel on the back of the machine to get
good access to the coils.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 20:10:53 -0800, Steve wrote:

I'm just wondering what others do to clean all the dust and crud buildup
on the compressor cooling coils located at the bottom of the fridge??
There is almost no room to get a vacuum hose or attachment near the
coils except near the front. Do they make any kind of long handled
brush for this purpose? It says in the manual to keep these coils clean
but how do you get at the coils near the back? or do you need to pull
the fridge away from where its sitting and go from the back somehow?
Steve

Steve:

Back on Feb 14, we had a very long thread on this same subject in this
NG. Thread started by Nate Nagel. Bottom line... Special brushes at
some BORGS, or *Real* hardware stores for not that much money will clean
most of the dust and pet hair. I haven't found the brushes at my local
BORGs, but my searching hasn't been all that intense.

BTW, that previous thread was some good reading for the most part.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve" wrote:
I'm just wondering what others do to clean all the dust and crud
buildup on the compressor cooling coils located at the bottom of the
fridge?? There is almost no room to get a vacuum hose or attachment
near the coils except near the front. Do they make any kind of long
handled brush for this purpose? It says in the manual to keep these
coils clean but how do you get at the coils near the back? or do you
need to pull the fridge away from where its sitting and go from the
back somehow?
Steve

If it's an old fridge (or even a new one) be gentle - I killed a fridge by
being a little to aggressive with the cleaning. Took about a week, then
kaputt.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve wrote:
I'm just wondering what others do to clean all the dust and crud
buildup on the compressor cooling coils located at the bottom of the
fridge?? There is almost no room to get a vacuum hose or attachment
near the coils except near the front. Do they make any kind of long
handled brush for this purpose? It says in the manual to keep these
coils clean but how do you get at the coils near the back? or do you
need to pull the fridge away from where its sitting and go from the
back somehow?
Steve

My original method was to use a tube sock on a yard-stick. I turned the
sock inside-out, so the rougher side would catch more dirt; it worked
pretty well. There are special brushes, made for the purpose, but I've
never used those. Try pulling out the fridge, use a bottle brush
duct-taped to a flat stick, brush off coils. Push fridge back, clean
floor. If you have time on your hands, take a rag and dip in varnish.
Let it get tacky, then wrap on a flat stick and use it like tack cloth
for wood finishing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Go to Lowes or HD. Look for refrigerators, and ask for a
"condensor brush". About two and a half feet long, tapered,
wooden handle, about seven dollars. Use that in one hand.
Vacuum cleaner hose in the other hand. Flashlight in your
third hand.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve" wrote in message
I'm just wondering what others do to clean all the dust and
crud
buildup on the compressor cooling coils located at the
bottom of the
fridge?? There is almost no room to get a vacuum hose or
attachment
near the coils except near the front. Do they make any kind
of long
handled brush for this purpose? It says in the manual to
keep these
coils clean but how do you get at the coils near the back?
or do you
need to pull the fridge away from where its sitting and go
from the
back somehow?
Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Please be sure to replace the flimsy cardboard. it does
serve a purpose.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"fftt" wrote in message
One some fridges you have to
remove a flimsy "cardboard" panel on the back of the machine
to get
good access to the coils.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 23, 5:44*am, Phil Again wrote:
[...]

Sorry, I should have done a search on the subject first....... But
thanks, I'll check out that thread.
Steve
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 23, 8:18*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Please be sure to replace the flimsy cardboard. it does
serve a purpose.

I was wondering about that.... I was considering leaving that
cardboard panel off. I figured it was just to keep someone's fingers
from going in there that didn't belong.. I thought it would help with
better air flow through the compressor unit.

Can you elaborate?
Thanks,
Steve
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Please be sure to replace the flimsy cardboard. it does
serve a purpose.

Yes, in my case, it served to shelter and hide the rat who took up
residence under there, ripping out fiberglass insulation for bedding,
****ing and ****ting everywhere, sharpening his teeth by chewing up the
plastic drain hose. Drain water now mixes with fiberglass and rat
****/****, and ferments for several months, causing everything metal to
rust.

My cat and I chased that ******* for three months, and of all the rats
I've had to finish after he brings them in the house, that was the
sweetest kill of all.

Or was there some other purpose to which you were referring?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 22, 9:10*pm, Steve wrote:
I'm just wondering what others do to clean all the dust and crud
buildup on the compressor cooling coils located at the bottom of the
fridge??

For the fridge in the garage I just fired up the compressor and blew
the cr@p out of them - this is obviously not a good alternative for a
fridge located in your kitchen.

Jerry
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 23, 7:35*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
*"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Please be sure to replace the flimsy cardboard. it does
serve a purpose.

Yes, in my case, it served to shelter and hide the rat who took up
residence under there, ripping out fiberglass insulation for bedding,
****ing and ****ting everywhere, sharpening his teeth by chewing up the
plastic drain hose. Drain water now mixes with fiberglass and rat
****/****, and ferments for several months, causing everything metal to
rust.

My cat and I chased that ******* for three months, and of all the rats
I've had to finish after he brings them in the house, that was the
sweetest kill of all.

Or was there some other purpose to which you were referring?

On my fridge, it serves to create an air flow "conduit" /
path.....such that the air is drawn over coils & then blows back out
front over the defrost / condensate tray to improve the evap
performance.

So yeah, it should be replaced.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve" wrote in message
I'm just wondering what others do to clean all the dust and crud
buildup on the compressor cooling coils located at the bottom of the
fridge?? There is almost no room to get a vacuum hose or attachment
near the coils except near the front. Do they make any kind of long
handled brush for this purpose? It says in the manual to keep these
coils clean but how do you get at the coils near the back? or do you
need to pull the fridge away from where its sitting and go from the
back somehow?
Steve

I pull mine away from the wall. I pull the front cover and the back cover.
I take out the drain tray if there is one. Then I clean it with a
compressed air nozzle. Works for me.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

The desired air flow is to suck air in the front (across the
coils) and blow it out across the condensate pan.

With the cardboard off, the air blows in a small circle, out
the back of the fridge, and then into the fan, again.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:
Please be sure to replace the flimsy cardboard. it does
serve a purpose.

I was wondering about that.... I was considering leaving
that
cardboard panel off. I figured it was just to keep someone's
fingers
from going in there that didn't belong.. I thought it would
help with
better air flow through the compressor unit.

Can you elaborate?
Thanks,
Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

What he said.... before I wrote what I said.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus