Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default distance between tv aerial and mains socket?

In article ,
James R wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Stephen wrote:
Is there a recommended distance to keep between a tv aerial socket and
a mains socket? I'm thinking if they are too close would the aerial
pick up interference? I had a quick flick through the OSG but all I
coul;d find was something about keeping telephone lines 50mm away from
mains cables, which IMO seemed a very small separation but entirely
irrelevant to my original question! TIA, Stephen.

I'd be most surprised if mains carried frequencies high enough to cause
problems - and in any case decent cable should be pretty well screened.

Thought I'd just read this again...

It depends what the interference is being caused by. The coax can be a
number of wavelengths long and resonate on certain frequencies.

So what signals are being radiated by mains that this might apply to?

At VHF & UHF the coax can act as a number of wavelengths and with
increased gain, on MW and SW bands the coax can be one wavelength.

Co-ax in use for MW and SW? My AM aerial uses a balanced feeder. For a
very good reason.

Interference is usually picked up on the braid/screen. The same goes
for mains wiring and phone wiring.

Mains and telephone wiring has a braid/screen?

If he meant mains spikes being picked up by being inductively coupled,
then that is possible if the coax runs along side mains wiring for any
length.

That at least is reasonable.

A mains and RF socket can be right next to each other, but I
wouldn't run cables alongside each other.

It's against regs anyway.

--
*Does fuzzy logic tickle? *

Dave Plowman London SW